THE KNOWING FLOYD WEEK (TODAY'S POST - TOP 10 PINK FLOYD SONG LYRICS,PERSPECTIVES,LINKS AND REVIEWS)

The last post of The Knowing Floyd Week is here where I mentioned the top 10 Pink Floyd songs from The Perspectives Blog. Today,I am going to review every song and provide the lyrics and perspectives for each here as mentioned yesterday.

1.Wish You Were Here



Wish You Were Here Album Cover



Wish You Were Here Lyrics

So, so you think you can tell
Heaven from Hell,
Blue skies from pain.
Can you tell a green field
From a cold steel rail?
A smile from a veil?
Do you think you can tell?

And did they get you to trade
Your heroes for ghosts?
Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for a cool breeze?

Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
For a lead role in a cage?

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl,
Year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.

Song Review

The song begins with the guitar playing through a radio gradually merging with the lead guitar that enters after a few repeatations of the same tune through the radio/tape.The song is sung by David Gilmour in his youth and the voice on the recording(The original Wish You Were Here album,not the live performances) is absolutely amazing.The tune is extremely attractive in spite of being mostly acoustic based and simple.The lyrics are out of the world - I just find no comparison with these lyrics to any other song in the world and by now,I have a feeling there cannot be a song as beautiful or attractive as this.This is just unique.The cover photograph of the album is good,but could have been better.I mean,the song is far,far more beautiful than the album cover is.Every rock fan/guitar players must listen to this.And once you do,I bet you have to do it many a times more.
INSTREUMENTALS - 5/5
MELODY - 5/5
LYRICS - 5/5
THE VOICE BEHIND - 5/5

As a Song - {(20/20) * 100%} = 100%

Perspectives On The Song

The first time I listened to this,I was stunned,I was simply in awe.And I could not turn my laptop off! I listened it upto 3:00 a.m (Though accompanied by some Studies work.),it was 11th September,2013 when I got the song. but after that it has happened many a times to me.I have listened to this in the mornings,at noons,in the afternoons,evenings,nights,days and days afterwards.When I had been in trouble or any mental distress,or I had been extremely happy,I listened to this and I even started personifying the song after a while.But I am glad I got this.It really is a very,very nice song and it shows the true intellect of Pink Floyd.(Thanks father for recommending this and Thanks Roger,David,Richard and Nick for getting this done.)

You can listen to all songs except Welcome To The Machine by clicking on the links given to The Perspectives Tumblr Page in this post.
Watch the video here.

2.Shine On You Crazy Diamond


Shine On You Crazy Diamond Album Cover


Shine On You Crazy Diamond Lyrics

Remember when you were young,
You shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
You were caught on the crossfire
Of childhood and stardom,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon,
You cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Threatened by shadows at night,
And exposed in the light.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Well you wore out your welcome
With random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
Come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

Nobody knows where you are, how near or how far.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Pile on many more layers and I'll be joining you there.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
And we'll bask in the shadow of yesterday's triumph,
sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child, you winner and loser,
come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine


Song Review

You can understand it by the tunes that Pink Floyd has played the tunes even if you don't know what the song is by the style in which it has been played.The tune and instrumentals is an absolute perfection here.I loved it.Richard Wright did say it right in The Pink Floyd : Live in Pompeii that when you listen to Pink Floyd,you know that its the Floyd who are playing; its not like some other band who are playing the blues or playing this or that.The instrumentals are simply beautiful in this song.Literally,they are not so simple,it would be really hard to coordinate and play that well.The lyrics were written as an ode to Syd Barrett (And so had been Wish You Were Here) and I must say they were extremely well-written.The tune is great,too.And here goes the ratings - 
INSTRUMENTALS - 5/5
MELODY - 4.9/5
LYRICS - 5/5
THE VOICE BEHIND - 5/5

As a Song - {(19.9/20)*100%} = 99.5%

Perspectives On The Song

I love the song and its just the way I would have expected people with more feelings (more overwhelming feelings) than the usual ones would refer to their lost friend.I felt sorry for Barrett after I listened to his works - they were extremely mystic and well-written material but the tunes were a little of an unilateral kind.But as long as your voice is lively and young and you have got a good grip over the pen,I don't mind the tune you sing in!This song was played so well and as per as I know,David Gilmour fans are very enthusiastic about instrumentals and this is a must have then.

You can listen to all songs except Welcome To The Machine by clicking on the links given to The Perspectives Tumblr Page in this post.Watch the video here.  


3.Brain Damage


Brain Damage Album Cover

Brain Damage Lyrics

The lunatic is on the grass.
The lunatic is on the grass.
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs.
Got to keep the loonies on the path.

The lunatic is in the hall.
The lunatics are in my hall.
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

The lunatic is in my head.
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane.
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

"I can't think of anything to say except...
I think it's marvelous! HaHaHa!"

Song Review

INSTRUMENTALS - 5/5
MELODY - 4/5
LYRICS - 5/5
THE VOICE BEHIND - 5/5

The song begins almost along with the guitar and all through the song,there is a very soft rhythm maintained which certainly makes it more attractive to the ear,but if you don't listen to songs too minutely,it would just appear as a nice piece of rock played by Floyd that is nice to listen to.The lyrics of this song leans towards the psychedelic side and is actually a basic truth - There is a lunatic within everyone.The contrast of a few words sung in a monotonous tune followed by rise and fall of the notes is something Pink Floyd has always done and the fact is inclusive here,as well.If you are a Pink Floyd fan,you must have listened to this and if you have not and you are a prog fan,then you must listen to this song.

As a song - {(19/20) * 100%} = 95%

Perspectives On The Song

As expressed by a friend of mine,the song is addictive. And the song (though I never mention its good to people around me) is actually great and for lunatics like me,as per my farsightedness prevails,being a fan is mandatory!The instrumentals are unique,the tune is not great but nice,the lyrics are great and the song is sung perfectly.(David Gilmour,you know.)

4.Echoes



Meddle Album Cover



5. A Great Day For Freedom


A Great Day For Freedom!

A Great Day For Freedom Lyrics

On the day the wall came down
They threw the locks onto the ground
And with glasses high we raised a cry for freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down
The Ship of Fools had finally run aground
Promises lit up the night like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side
No warmth, not even pride remained
And even though you needed me
It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day
As friends and neighbours turn away
And there's a change that, even with regret, cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands
While nations wash their bloodied hands
Of loyalty, of history, in shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums
The music played, the morning sun streamed in
I turned and I looked at you
And all but the bitter residues slipped away... slipped away

Song Review

INSTRUMENTALS - 5/5
MELODY - 4.5/5
LYRICS - 5/5
THE VOICE BEHIND - 5/5

The song is not so popular as the earlier ones mentioned but it is indeed very beautiful.It is one of the songs written by Gilmour that I really like.The allegory of promises to 'paper doves at flight' is impressive.As we see 'The Wall' album almost shaking the wall with the frequency of its strength,this song has a much softer tone,but it still expresses a lot.It is politically linked to the fall of the Berlin Wall and what good did happen?The diplomat,cruel Germany came out once again.The song expresses the grief so well and I have listened to this numerous times.The melody goes in line with the tone of the song,all very mild and soft but to avoid getting it too flat-toned,it has been performed on a high-pitch.The voice is as perfect as it could have been.

As a song - {(19.5/20) * 100%} = 97.5%

Perspectives On The Song

The song does what the writer,composer and musician had aimed to - it creates a beautiful realm of all the components but does not take you too far from reality.Though psychedelic components are less here,I don't think it is much desirable when you wish to link the song to political emotions.The song does bring out the inner emotions and it is a very substantial composition indeed.

6. Us and Them


Us And Them Album Cover

Us, and them 
And after all we're only ordinary men. 
Me, and you. 
God only knows it's noz what we would choose to do. 
Forward he cried from the rear 
and the front rank died. 
And the general sat and the lines on the map 
moved from side to side. 
Black and blue 
And who knows which is which and who is who. 
Up and down. 
But in the end it's only round and round. 
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words 
The poster bearer cried. 
Listen son, said the man with the gun 
There's room for you inside. 

"I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short, 
sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off 
lightly, 'cos I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once! 
It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners 
don't cost nothing do they, eh?" 

Down and out 
It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about. 
With, without. 
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about? 
Out of the way, it's a busy day 
I've got things on my mind. 
For the want of the price of tea and a slice 
The old man died.


7.

Roger Waters performing Nobody Home (The concept is Bravo!)



"Alright, I'll take care of them part of the time, but there's somebody else that needs taking care of in Washington"
"Who's that?"
"Rose Pilchitt!"
"Rose Pilchitt? Who's that?"
[Kid screams in background. foreground: "Shut Up!"]
"36-24-36 [laughter] does that answer your question?"
[foreground: "Oi! I've got a little black book with me poems in!"]
"Who's she?"
"She was 'Miss Armoured Division' in 1961 ... "

I've got a little black book with my poems in.
Got a bag with a toothbrush and a comb in.
When I'm a good dog, they sometimes throw me a bone in.

I got elastic bands keepin my shoes on.
Got those swollen hand blues.
Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from.
I've got electric light.
And I've got second sight.
And amazing powers of observation.
And that is how I know
When I try to get through 
On the telephone to you
There'll be nobody home.

I've got the obligatory Hendrix perm.
And the inevitable pinhole burns
All down the front of my favorite satin shirt.
I've got nicotine stains on my fingers.
I've got a silver spoon on a chain.
I've got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains.

I've got wild staring eyes.
And I've got a strong urge to fly.
But I got nowhere to fly to. 
Ooooh, Babe when I pick up the phone

"Surprise, surprise, surprise..." (from Gomer Pyle show)

There's still nobody home.

I've got a pair of Gohills boots
and I got fading roots.

"Where the hell are you?"
"Over 47 german planes were destroyed with the loss of only 15 of our own aircraft"
"Where the hell are you Simon?"
[Machine gun sound, followed by plane crashing]


8.


Is There Anybody Out There Concert Cover

Is there anybody out there?
Is there anybody out there?
Is there anybody out there?
Is there anybody out there?


9.


The Final Cut Album Cover

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time
And far from flying high in clear blue skies
I'm spiralling down to the hole in the ground where I hide.

If you negotiate the minefield in the drive
And beat the dogs and cheat the cold electronic eyes
And if you make it past the shotgun to my hall,
Dial the combination, open the priesthole
And if I'm in I'll tell you what's behind the wall.

There's a kid who had a big hallucination
Making love to girls in magazines.
He wonders if you're sleeping with your new found faith.
Could anybody love him
Or is it just a crazy dream?

And if I show you my dark side
Will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you
And show you my weak side
What would you do?
Would you sell your story to Rolling Stone?
Would you take the children away
And leave me alone?
And smile in reassurance
As you whisper down the phone?
Would you send me packing?
Or would you take me home?

Thought I oughta bare my naked feelings,
Thought I oughta tear the curtain down.
I held the blade in trembling hands
Prepared to make it but just then the phone rang
I never had the nerve to make the final cut.

"Hello? Listen, I think I've got it. Okay, listen its a HaHa!"


10.


The Gunner's Dream Concert Cover


Floating down through the clouds
Memories come rushing up to meet me now.
In the space between the heavens
and in the corner of some foreign field
I had a dream.
I had a dream.
Good-bye Max.
Good-bye Ma.
After the service when you're walking slowly to the car
And the silver in her hair shines in the cold November air
You hear the tolling bell
And touch the silk in your lapel
And as the tear drops rise to meet the comfort of the band
You take her frail hand
And hold on to the dream.
A place to stay
"Oi! A real one ..."
Enough to eat
Somewhere old heroes shuffle safely down the street
Where you can speak out loud
About your doubts and fears
And what's more no-one ever disappears
You never hear their standard issue kicking in your door.
You can relax on both sides of the tracks
And maniacs don't blow holes in bandsmen by remote control
And everyone has recourse to the law
And no-one kills the children anymore.
And no one kills the children anymore.

Night after night
Going round and round my brain
His dream is driving me insane.
In the corner of some foreign field
The gunner sleeps tonight.
What's done is done.
We cannot just write off his final scene.
Take heed of his dream.
Take heed.















Images - The images that are not watermarked do not belong to me.
Next post - Tomorrow I am going to post the detailed reviews of all the songs put up in this post.

Happy Knowing Floyd Week! Enjoy! And Thanks for making your visit to this blog.What are your perspectives?Let me know in the comments section/mail me for any queries or doubts at titassparkles@gmail.com.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin



Post a Comment

0 Comments