FAVOURITE SONGS FROM THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON





(Words inserted by The Perspectives.The original photograph is by www.wallpaperno.com)


1.Time

Time Original Disk Produced by EMI Records,England

This song is an old treasure for me and one of the first songs I come across (In fact The Dark Side Of The Moon is the first album I had listened to multiple songs from Pink Floyd.) when I had set forth my journey to discover the beautiful world of psychedelia with this group of Englishmen.Coming to the song,it is really genuine and the reprise of the song is great.It begins with the ringing of traditional bells,alarm clocks simultaneously and the intensity grows momentarily,immediately after which the beats on a traditional bell gradually softens as bold but low volume piano notes and drum beats resembling the ringing effect take their turn.After multiple repetitions,the song ultimately begins.It has been sung by David Gilmour and its seriously a wonder to me how a man can sing all the genres so well - be it romantic tunes,be it hard rock or be it progressive,there is absolutely nothing he cannot perform well.But it might not be a help in case you are trying to obtain a calming effect for it will instantly brew a million questions about what have you done all this time in your life.However,it took me a great deal of time that this song was so precious and so is time.It is worth listening and it surely has the capability to intrigue you and I can say if you listen to his once,a repetition is going to be automatic.

Time Lyrics

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

(The following Lyrics is the Reprise Part.)

Home, home again
I like to be here when I can
When I come home cold and tired
It's good to warm my bones beside the fire
Far away, across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spell

2.Eclipse




( Cover Art Credit : eclipse.fourfour.com)

Eclipse Lyrics

All that you touch
All that you see
All that you taste
All you feel.
All that you love
All that you hate
All you distrust
All you save.
All that you give
All that you deal
All that you buy,
beg, borrow or steal.
All you create
All you destroy
All that you do
All that you say.
All that you eat
And everyone you meet
All that you slight
And everyone you fight.
All that is now
All that is gone
All that's to come
and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

"There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

The punchline says it all.I love the song,every part of it.And the implications of the song till date interests me.
On 10 March 2004, the song was used to wake the Mars probe Opportunity. It was chosen in recognition of the transit of the Martian moon Phobos.[8] This is not the first time Pink Floyd has been played in outer space; Russian cosmonauts took and played an advance copy of Delicate Sound of Thunder aboard Soyuz TM-7, making it (unofficially) the first album played in space.

The song was also used at the finale of the 2012 Summer Olympics opening ceremony in London called "And in the end", immediately following the lighting of the cauldron by the seven young athletes. The song was played as a fireworks display took place and images of famous Olympians was projected onto the screen, climaxing with a view of the Olympic rings over the earth from a balloon launched at the beginning of the ceremony. (Data Credit : Wikipedia)

3.Us And Them


Us and Them Album Cover

Us And Them Lyrics

Us, and them
And after all we're only ordinary men.
Me, and you.
God only knows it's noz what we would choose to do.
Forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died.
And the general sat and the lines on the map
moved from side to side.
Black and blue
And who knows which is which and who is who.
Up and down.
But in the end it's only round and round.
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
The poster bearer cried.
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside.

"I mean, they're not gunna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short,
sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off
lightly, 'cos I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once!
It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners
don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

Down and out
It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.
With, without.
And who'll deny it's what the fighting's all about?
Out of the way, it's a busy day
I've got things on my mind.
For the want of the price of tea and a slice
The old man died.

This has been featured as the Top 6th song in The Top 10 Pink Floyd Songs Compilation done in the blog.It was one of my first impressions when I first came across Pink Floyd and I remember I listened to this almost wherever I went.In the roadways and in my mind,all that seemed to occupy space was this song and I could not think about anything else properly for a day or two.The statement throughout and at the end seem to boldly place the concept of revolution and ignorance,both of which unfortunately juxtapose each other's effect in today's society.


4.Brain Damage





Brain Damage by Pink Floyd



Brain Damage by Pink Floyd


Brain Damage Lyrics

The lunatic is on the grass.
The lunatic is on the grass.
Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs.
Got to keep the loonies on the path.

The lunatic is in the hall.
The lunatics are in my hall.
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

The lunatic is in my head.
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane.
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

"I can't think of anything to say except...
I think it's marvelous! HaHaHa!"

The song begins almost along with the guitar and all through the song,there is a very soft rhythm maintained which certainly makes it more attractive to the ear,but if you don't listen to songs too minutely,it would just appear as a nice piece of rock played by Floyd that is nice to listen to.The lyrics of this song leans towards the psychedelic side and is actually a basic truth - There is a lunatic within everyone.The contrast of a few words sung in a monotonous tune followed by rise and fall of the notes is something Pink Floyd has always done and the fact is inclusive here,as well.If you are a Pink Floyd fan,you must have listened to this and if you have not and you are a prog fan,then you must listen to this song. (You can read more about the song here.)

Disclaimer : The photographs used unless watermarked do not belong to me.

Post a Comment

0 Comments