Stills from 'The Wild Pear Tree (2018)' Directed by Nuri Bilge Ceylan

I watched 'The Wild Pear Tree' in two parts. The first part was when I returned home the evening day before yesterday and the second part in yesterday afternoon. And although I am supposed to be working fanatically, I can't help but say a few things about what I experienced while watching the film. When I was younger, I never had the patience of listening to Ceylan's method of storytelling ; it somehow never yielded to me, I was too restless. Now that I turned twenty this summer, I can feel certain differences in who I have become and for one thing that I am certain about, the art of slow cinema is no less than a political movement in our times. In a world of vehement McDonaldisation that doesn't even allow you either of time or space for instrospection or reflection, telling stories of real people, real lives and the serenity of lives far away from the humdrum that......doesn't even exist at the first place is brave!

The story, the characters, their lives, the indifference, the brutalities, the beautiful heart-wrenching shots, the long and winding roads - there is nothing I could possibly not like about the film. Nuri Bilge Ceylan is perhaps the Kiarostami of our times! Here are thirty stills from the three hour film that I believe is a masterpiece, and deserves to be watched by people who have the patience to contemplate the generosity poetry has to offer to us. 







































Kindly visit the blog 'Unbelonging Waters' here. It's like a doppelganger to 'The Perspectives' and should be worth the read! More posts are on their way. 

Post a Comment

2 Comments

What are your perspectives?