Song in Focus: 'Bloom' by The Paper Kites

There's no point bringing on a happy facade that no longer exists in a country ruled by fascists. It has not been 'happy' here for a very long time now. And more than anything, that takes a toll on the mind when I get back home - and especially because I technically still live alone. For the last two days though, the (be)witchery of the wicked women of Shaheen Bagh and Park Circus, Kolkata has been making me feel like we were all destined to be Pagan witches - caught, imprisoned and tormented by the rulers of the state. Yesterday, there was a Mehendi ceremony in which we ended up writing anti-citizenship amendment slogans in our hands with the traditional dye that has been used over centuries to draw ornamented patterns on the palms and feet. Then, I had this sudden realisation that it still is important to come back home and do what I can do best - write. Listen, feel and write. For who said the sunbeam doesn't feel good before they begin slaughtering us like veal in the darkest winter hours? And who said, it wouldn't feel good to smoke the last cigarette from the flames they would use to cremate us alive?


The song is an absolutely beautiful one, and the videography is amazing. The dripping honey in the sunbeam is awakening, and the tune sort of melts in the invisible gap between language and the cognition initiated by the sensory organs.  It has also been a full month or more since I actually even touched the ukulele to play this song. There's a very mild country undertone to the soft rock song and this is exactly what keeps you tuned to indie! It's versatile, it's easy and it's beautiful, deep and effortless. 


Lyrics

In the morning when I wake
And the sun is coming through
Oh you fill my lungs with sweetness
And you fill my head with you

Shall I write it in a letter?
Shall I try to get it down?
Oh you fill my head with pieces
Of a song I can't get out

Can I be close to you

Can I take you to a moment
Where the fields are painted gold
And the trees are filled with memories
Of the feelings never told

When the evening pulls the sun down
And the day is almost through
Oh the whole world it is sleeping
But my world is you


Strangely, the first song of the EP called 'Woodland' begins with a very rhetorical beast vs Sun analogy that feels like you're being pushed to the land of the light. All the songs are somewhat Pagan elementally and they're even called 'Featherstone', 'Halcyon', 'The Mortal King Boy' among others!  'Bloom' is the bonus track to the EP and is distinctly beautiful in its entirety. 

'Bloom' can actually be played in a number of ways, but you can actually employ a Am7 and that sounds effortless, which is the primary content of the appeal of the song.
There is nothing extraordinary about the lyrics, but that is probably what adds to the ease than receding its beauty. It sounds like a vivid chain of charms and bells ringing across a window across a lush, green valley on the first days of the transition from winter to spring. 

You can listen to 'Bloom' here. If you've come across indie bands across the rock spectrum in the recent years, let us know by dropping a comment/message. If you want your music to be reviewed, kindly drop me a mail at titassparkles@gmail.com

Post a Comment

0 Comments